So Swift presents a House Dance workshop w
/ Mai Lê Grooves of Sour Patch Crew.
Where: Dovetail studios
2853 W Montrose Ave, Chicago, IL 60618
When: Wednesday April 6th 7:30-9pm
Fee: $10 (CASH ONLY)
All levels and ages welcome! This will be an open workshop focusing on House Dance. She’ll briefly go over the club culture, the history of House dance and music. Focus will be on foundation steps with students learning how to use their creativity, explore in freestyle and find one’s own style. Emphasis will be made on how to connect the movement with the music.
Instructor bio & footage:
Mai Lê is a French dancer-choreographer & dj who relocated to New York City in 2009. She started dancing jazz at the age of 7 in France. At 12, she fell in love with Hip Hop dance, at 18 with House dance, and has been pushing both these cultures ever since through dancing, deejaying, organizing events and parties.
Through her passion, Mai Lê has had the opportunity to perform and/or teach in such countries as France, Democratic Republic of Congo, the UK, Vietnam, Italy, Spain, Croatia, Slovakia, Holland, Russia, Belgium and throughout the United States. In 2012 she joined RHAW and soon after RHPM (Rennie Harris PureMovement), the longest running Hip-Hop dance touring company created in 1991, with which she traveled to Central Africa to serve as a US Cultural Ambassador in 2013. She was also touring Europe with Detroit music producer Theo Parrish in 2014 as a dancer in his live band “The Unit”.
Mai Lê deejays the same way that she dances: raw, honest, fluid, bold, unapologetic. She has played venues such as Starvue (Brooklyn), Meridian 23 (NYC), La Machine (Paris), holds a monthly residency at LP N’ Harmony (Brooklyn) with her collective Four On The Floor, and hosts a weekly radio show with her Wives of Music’s partner Dj Eriko ‘Lua Cheia’.
Driven by her talents, Mai Lê has been relentlessly dedicated to spreading Underground Hip-Hop & House cultures locally and throughout the world, helping bring awareness to the positive impact of their phenomenon. She also strongly advocates for the harmonious marriage of dance and music, primarily through her event “LayeRhythm, A Jam Session of Music & Dance”, taking place monthly in NYC, and now expanding to other cities.
Credits / titles include:
– Juste Debout (Paris World Finals) – House 2on2 – Top 32 (2016)
– Second Sundae (Philly) – House 1on1 – 3x Winner & 4x Judge (2014-2016)
– House Dance U.K. (London) – House 1on1 – Judge (2015)
– Ladies of Hip-Hop Festival (NYC) – House 1on1 – Winner (2015)
– Slick City 2 (Chicago) – House 2on2 – Judge (2015)
– Universole (Detroit) – House 1on1 – Winner (2015)
– House Dance Forever (Amsterdam) – 1on1 – Top 12 out of 175 (2015)
– Polyrhythmic Exchange (Phoenix) – House 2on2 – Judge (2013)
– Step Ya Game Up (NYC) – House 1on1 – Winner (2013)
– The Blueprint (Houston) – House 1on1 – Judge (2013)